Are you wondering how to get more veg into your child’s day? Start at the beginning! Getting vegies into breakfast is a great way to kick things off.
If you need some inspiration for the morning rush, try some of our ideas below. We’ve included everything from quick to make, through to something more adventurous.
- Avocado on toast - for an extra hit of veg add some sliced tomato and basil, or bean sprouts.
- Baked beans on toast - look for the salt-reduced option.
- Breakfast bruschetta with diced tomato, basil, cucumber, and red onion.
- Cooked mushroom with some dried mixed herbs.
- Smashed peas - which simply means cooked peas mashed and mixed with a sprinkling of feta.
- Eggs baked in the centre of a large mushroom or halved tomato.
- Breakfast pita stuffed with scrambled egg and spinach.
- Omelette with some chopped mushroom and red capsicum.
- Frittata with spinach and zucchini.
Pikelets & pancakes:
- Three ingredient creamed corn pikelets.
- Pikelets with grated carrot and zucchini.
- Vegie pancake with blended banana, spinach, and flour.
- Japanese vegetable pancakes using cabbage, carrot, and spinach.
- Choc berry smoothie with a boost: berry banana smoothie with spinach, and cocoa powder.
- Green smoothie: spinach leaves, milk, apple, banana, zucchini and avocado.
- Sweet pea smoothie: chickpeas, peanut butter, banana, and cocoa.
- Any fruit smoothie with frozen or leftover cooked and cooled cauliflower thrown in the mix.
Porridge with a twist:
- Pumpkin pie - grate some pumpkin and mix with oats at the beginning of the cooking process along with cinnamon and other pumpkin pie spices (nutmeg, cloves and ginger). Add half a mashed banana or a touch of honey for some added sweetness if needed.
- Carrot cake - grate carrots and mix with oats at the beginning of your cooking process, add some cinnamon and other carrot cake spices (ginger, nutmeg). Add half a mashed banana or a touch of honey for some added sweetness if needed.