- Prep: 20
- Cook: 20 mins
- Serves: 12
- Olive or canola oil spray
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda (bicarbonate)
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- ½ cup bran sticks (e.g. Allbran™)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup sultanas
- 1 apple, core removed and diced, skin left on
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan forced).
- Lightly spray muffin tins with oil or line with paper cases.
- Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl, returning the husk remaining in the sieve to the bowl.
- Add sugar, bran, oats, sultanas and apple and mix until well combined.
- Place buttermilk, egg and mashed bananas in a bowl and mix with a fork.
- Pour banana mixture into dry ingredients and gently fold together until just combined.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes for mini-muffins or 20 minutes for larger muffins until firm and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes then turn onto a wire rack.
Muffins freeze well in snap-lock bags, but are best eaten on the day they are made.
- Use currants, dried cranberries or chopped dried apricots instead of sultanas.
- Replace apple with pear to vary the flavour.
- Substitute for buttermilk - add 1 tsp white vinegar to 3/4 cup low-fat milk.
LiveLighter ®© State of Western Australia 2019, reproduced with permission.