Toasted Breakfast Bars
- Prep: 5
- Cook: 45 mins
- Serves: 8
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cups untoasted muesli
- 2/3 cup bran sticks (e.g. AllbranTM)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan forced). Line base and sides of a 20 x 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Mash bananas and vanilla in a medium bowl with a fork. Add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin, smoothing the surface to an even thickness. Bake for 20 minutes until golden, remove from oven and allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces then return to the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes to crisp up. Once cool to touch, allow bars to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Before serving, place in a toaster to reheat and crisp up.
- Replace muesli with 1 cup rolled oats and 1/3 cup dried fruit such as cranberries, currants, sultanas or chopped dates, figs or apricots.
- Include a tablespoon of chia seeds or chopped nuts.
- Vary the flavour with a teaspoon of almond essence.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||554 kJ||881 kJ|
|Protein||3.5 g||5.5 g|
|Fat, total||3.4 g||5.4 g|
|— saturated||0.6 g||1 g|
|Carbohydrate||19.9 g||31.7 g|
|— sugars||9 g||14.2 g|
|Fibre||4.5 g||7.1 g|
|Sodium||24 mg||39 mg|
LiveLighter ®© State of Western Australia 2022, reproduced with permission.