Hidden Vegie Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Prep: 10
- Cook: 120 mins
- Serves: 20
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 leek (white part only), chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/4 butternut pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum, chopped
- garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 tbs no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 400 g cans no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- pepper and salt, to taste
Process the onions, leek, celery, carrot, pumpkin, capsicum and garlic in a food processor until a coarse paste is formed.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a very large saucepan over a high heat. Add the processed vegetable mix, reduce to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
Meanwhile process the zucchini and mushroom until finely chopped. Add this mix to the pan and cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir through until well combined.
Add the tinned tomatoes and herbs and season. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 1½ hours or until thickened.
Use as a pizza sauce, on pasta or in place of tinned tomatoes in recipes.
Recipe and image supplied by Cancer Council NSW Healthy Lunch Box website.