- Prep: 10
- Cook: 75 mins
- Serves: 4
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggplant, cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 400 g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 400 g can no-added-salt chickpeas
- 1 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock powder
- 10 dried apricots, chopped
- natural yoghurt, to serve
Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery and spices. Cook for 5 minutes until they start to soften.
Add the eggplant and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the tomatoes, chickpeas and their water, stock powder and apricots. Stir, cover and simmer for an hour or until thick and the eggplant is cooked through.
Serve with a dollop of natural yoghurt and couscous.
Recipe and image supplied by Cancer Council NSW Healthy Lunch Box website.