- Prep: 15
- Cook: 15 mins
- Serves: 12
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/2 cup carrot, sweet potato or pumpkin, grated
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbs wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tbs sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin, optional
- 1 tsp ground coriander, optional
- 1 tbs canola oil
- Mash the chickpeas and peas together in a large bowl with a fork or potato masher.
- With your hands, squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the grated vegetables and add them the bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients (except the oil) and mix well.
- Take a big spoonful of the mixture and roll into a ball with your hands. Flatten the ball and place on a plate. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Heat half the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Add about half the balls, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown, then flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Place them on paper towel while you cook the rest of the balls.
Note: If you have a food processor or stick blender with a bowl attachment, add all the ingredients (except the oil) to the food processor and blitz till you get a chunky but sticky texture. Then continue from step 4.
- Grated zucchini or finely chopped capsicum and broccoli would also work well in this dish- just use up whatever vegetables you have.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||247 kJ||532 kJ|
|Protein||2.3 g||4.9 g|
|Fat, total||2.2 g||4.6 g|
|— saturated||0.2 g||0.4 g|
|Carbohydrate||6.3 g||13.6 g|
|— sugars||1.3 g||2.9 g|
|Fibre||2.3 g||5 g|
|Sodium||87 mg||186 mg|
LiveLighter ®© State of Western Australia 2022, reproduced with permission.