To become a Crunch&Sip school you must complete all of the following steps:
Download a pdf version of the checklist and pledge by clicking here.
1. Gather support from the school community by;
- Approaching the school administration team to ensure there is support for becoming a Crunch&Sip School.
- Discussing strategies for implementing Crunch&Sip with staff members and parent committees.
- Making Crunch&Sip a regular agenda item at a scheduled school meeting or develop a Health and Wellbeing committee.
2. Introduce Crunch&Sip into classrooms:
- Inform parents/carers e.g. distribute Crunch&Sip brochures and parent magnets (order free parent resources here).
- Discuss the permitted and non-permitted foods with parents and students.
- Set a time for students to eat their veg or fruit.
- Trial Crunch&Sip for at least 2 weeks.
- Ensure at least 75% of students are participating in Crunch&Sip.
3. Identify ways to provide vegetables or fruit to students who don't have them. Click here for ideas.
4. Complete the Crunch&Sip pledge.
5. Fill in the online application form.
Help to make it happen
Your school can seek the help of other community members to assist with implementing and providing ongoing support for Crunch&Sip such as:
- Health professionals (e.g. dietitians, nutritionists, health promotion officers, public & community health workers, school health nurses, and health workers)
- Education professionals (e.g. Regional Education Officers)
- Community members (e.g. store owners, growers)
Getting the right people on board is key to making Crunch&Sip work. Choose people who are interested because of their commitment to health or education, or because of their profile in the community.
You will already know the people in your community who may support you with Crunch&Sip. Be clear about the mutual benefits - what's in it for the school, the children and them? Research on effective partnerships show that an existing relationship, where there is 'mutual benefit' or 'shared agenda' is a great place to start.
It is important that everyone keeps in mind the main benefits of Crunch&Sip:
- Better education: Well-hydrated and nourished students concentrate and perform better. Their mental, physical and social function is improved. Teachers report children are happier, better behaved and more willing to learn.
- Better health: Children with good eating habits are less likely to be overweight and have less diet-related disease as adult