- Prep: 30
- Cook: 30 mins
- Serves: 4
- 4 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium capsicum
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 bunch chives
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a saucepan bring the stock to a simmer and keep warm.
- In a large pot heat the oil until almost smoking then brown the chicken. Once brown remove and set aside leaving oil in pan.
- Turn the heat down slightly and saute the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent. Add the rice and stir to coat with the oil. Add the stock a little at a time stirring constantly until the liquid is almost absorbed. Adjust the heat if necessary to maintain a simmer. Repeat using ½ cup of stock at a time for about 25 minutes.
- Add the diced carrot and capsicum and continue to stir until the vegetables are tender. Continue adding stock or hot water as required. When the rice is al dente and still a little wet add the chicken and peas and heat through. Stir in the chives Parmesan and pepper.
2 serves of vegies in each serving of this recipe.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2963.4 kJ||385.8 kJ|
|Protein||32.8 g||4.2 g|
|Fat, total||20.6 g||2.7 g|
|— saturated||6.9 g||0.9 g|
|Carbohydrate||93.2 g||12.1 g|
|— sugars||10.7 g||1.4 g|
|Fibre||7.2 g||0.9 g|
|Sodium||917.7 mg||119.5 mg|
Recipe and image supplied by Cancer Council NSW Healthy Lunch Box website.