Date & Muesli Slice
- Prep: 10
- Cook: 35 mins
- Serves: 32
- Olive or canola oil spray
- 2 apples, core removed, coarsely grated with skin on
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup margarine
- 2 cups dates, seeded
- 2 cups natural muesli
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- Lightly spray a slice tin (approx. 25x30cm) with oil.
- Add apple, water, margarine and dates to a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes until the apple is soft.
- Cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes and stir occasionally until mixture thickens to a paste-like consistency.
- While apple and date mixture is cooking, place muesli in a large frypan. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Sift flours into a large bowl, returning husk remaining in the sieve to the bowl.
- Add cinnamon and muesli to the flours and mix to combine.
- Stir into the date mixture then spoon into prepared tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes until firm.
- Cool in tin before cutting.
Use wooden or plastic spoon to stir muesli so your frypan doesn’t get scratched.
LiveLighter ®© State of Western Australia 2019, reproduced with permission.