Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup
- Prep: 10
- Cook: 25 mins
- Serves: 6
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 500 g sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 x 420 g cans no-added-salt brown lentils, undrained
- 1 L salt-reduced chicken stock
- 500 mL water
- fresh coriander, chopped, to serve
- Lightly spray a large pot with oil and place on medium to high heat.
- Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables have softened.
- Stir in garlic and cumin, cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add zucchini, sweet potato, lentils (including the water they are canned in), stock and water; stir until well combined.
- Bring to the boil and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with coriander, if desired.
Increase the amount of water for a thinner soup, or process half the soup with a blender or stick mixer for a thicker texture.
- To make this soup vegetarian or vegan, use meat-free stock eg. vegetable stock or "chicken-style" stock
- Add one thinly sliced fresh long red chilli to the onion for some spice and serve with a dollop of natural yoghurt.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1055 kJ||194 kJ|
|Protein||14 g||2 g|
|Fat, total||8 g||1 g|
|— saturated||0.6 g||0.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||34 g||6 g|
|— sugars||10 g||2 g|
|Fibre||9 g||2 g|
|Sodium||731 mg||135 mg|
LiveLighter ®© State of Western Australia 2023, reproduced with permission.